General principles of the CE Marking Certification
- The CE marking shall be affixed only by the manufacturer or his authorized representative.
- The CE marking shall be affixed only to products to which its affixing is provided for by exact Community harmonization legislation, and shall not be affixed to any other product.
- By affixing or having affixed the CE marking, the manufacturer specifies that he takes responsibility for the conformity of the product with all applicable necessities set out in the relevant Community harmonization legislation providing for its affixing.
- The CE marking shall be the only marking which attests the conformity of the product with the applicable needs of the appropriate Community harmonization legislation providing for its affixing.
- The affixing to a product of markings, signs or inscriptions which are likely to mislead third parties regarding the meaning or form of the CE marking shall be prohibited. Any other marking may be affixed to the product provided that the visibility, legibility and meaning of the CE marking is not thereby impaired.
- Member States shall confirm the correct implementation of the regime governing the CE marking and take correct action in the event of unsuitable use of the marking. Member States shall also provide for penalties for infringements, which may include criminal sanctions for serious infringements. Those penalties shall be proportionate to the urgency of the offense and constitute an actual deterrent against improper use.